Citrus Arugula Salad with Miso Dressing
This salad is sure to brighten up the darkest of winter days. Enjoy the tartness of the citrus, mixing with the umami of miso, and the peppery arugula and herb base greens. Switch it up with different citrus fruits-- whatever piques your taste buds! Oranges, mandarins, grapefruit, blood oranges, clementines, pomelos, and tangelos are all delightful additions. The crunchy feature of this salad can also be customized-- pumpkin seeds, macadamias, sunflower seeds (shelled), toasted almonds, pine nuts, walnuts, or pistachios are all totally tasty.
What you’ll need:
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Whisk or fork
- Salad serving bowl
- Measuring spoons
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 small grapefruit, peel sliced off and cut into rounds
- 1 mandarin orange, peel sliced off and cut into rounds
- 1 blood orange, peel sliced off and cut into rounds
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds (shelled), almonds, pine nuts, walnuts or pistachios)
- 1 rounded tbsp miso (any type)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- Fill a salad serving bowl with arugula and toss with basil and cilantro.
- With a sharp knife, prep your fruit by slicing each end off until the pulp is exposed. Set the fruit cut-end-down onto a cutting board and slice the peel off, working in sections from top to bottom, until all of the peel and white pith are removed. Lay the exposed fruit horizontally on the board and slice it into ½ inch rounds. De-seed as necessary and set aside.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients until smooth, or add to a jar, seal and shake until well combined.
- Assemble salad with citrus placed over grees, topped with goat cheese, and pumpkin seeds.
- Gently dress with miso vinaigrette and serve.
While you may not be able to grow a citrus tree in your backyard, you can certainly grow your very own salads with a Mini Salads Seedsheet Kit, or a Balcony Salads Kit. Add a splash of herbs with a Mini Herbs Seedsheet Kit, or a Balcony Herbs Kit, or you can create your very own veggie, fruit, and greens garden with a Custom Seedsheet to have all your favorites in a bountiful harvest!
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Comments will be approved before showing up. Required fields are marked *