The classic Creme Brulee sweet treat gets a Seedsheet twist. This recipe is surprisingly simple and sure to impress. Perfect for holidays or dinner parties, they can be made in a large batch the day before, then fired with a culinary torch shortly before serving.
What you'll need:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ sugar
- 6+ tbsp superfine sugar, for topping
- Mixing bowl
- 6, 4oz ramekins or 4, 6oz ramekins
- Butane or Propane culinary torch
Topping options: Fresh sprigs of basil leaves, fresh berries, cubed mango, a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium saucepot heat cream, vanilla, and salt on low heat, just until warm. Remove from heat and toss in fresh basil leaves to steep while preparing eggs.
- Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Through a strainer, pour a small amount of cream into egg mixture and whisk together well. Continue to add cream slowly to eggs while mixing.
- Pour evenly into ramekins, leaving a lip.
- Place ramekins in a baking dish and fill the baking dish with water to about halfway up the sides of the ramekins, creating a water bath.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, just until set and golden brown on top.
- Cool completely and refrigerate for several hours, up to 24.
- Add 1 tbsp of superfine sugar evenly to the top of the custard and place on a tabletop.
- Light torch and move the flame around the top of the custard until sugar melts and browns.
- Cool completely to allow the top to crystalize.
- Top with a sprig of basil and fresh berries and serve.
Tired of buying wilted herbs at the grocery store? Don't despair! Grow your own with a Seedsheet! Create your own Custom Seedsheet with eight different basil varieties to choose from, or pick from any of our curated sheets which include basil: Herb Balcony Kit, Mini Herb Kit, Pesto Balcony Kit, or Mini Pesto Kit.
Leave a Comment