Sacred Gimlet Cocktail Recipe
Tulsi, also known as 'Sacred Basil', is a little plant with a lot of power. Commonly used in herbal medicine to treat a host of ailments, this herb has the power to aid in skin health, relieve stress and boost the immune system.
For a superfood-take on a gimlet with delicate floral notes from Tulsi blossoms, try our Sacred Gimlet recipe below. This garden-fresh drink is a nice break from sugary cocktails, not to mention the important health benefits that come from the prized tulsi leaves and flowers!
Sacred Gimlet Recipe
- 3-4 cuttings from the Tulsi plant, flowers may be included
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 oz simple syrup
- 3 oz vodka
- Crushed ice
- 4 floral ice cubes (cubes with flowers frozen inside)
- Granulated sugar (to coat the glass-rims)
- 2 coupe glasses
- In a cocktail shaker or pint glass, add a handful of crushed ice, simple syrup, fresh lime juice, vodka, and about 6 tulsi leaves, and shake with another glass secured on top.
- Prepare glasses by wetting the rims with the juiced-lime halves, and dipping in the granulated sugar.
- Use a strainer and pour the cocktail mixture, dividing between each glass.
- Add floral ice cubes and a tulsi flower sprig for a whimsical finishing touch. Cheers!
The health benefits and delicate flavors that come from homegrown tulsi are every reason to always have a fresh crop. The smell of sweet leaves and flowers are a perfect way to achieve flavor in cocktails and tea, without excess added sugar or artificial flavors!
The Seedsheet Team
Thanks for the tip! We will certainly give that a try. It sounds like your definitely experienced with your elixirs! Let us know if you have any other tips; we’re all ears.
From my experience in using fresh leafy herbs in cocktails I’d like to suggest adding the tulsi after the shaking process and lightly clapping the leaves between your hands; then stirring it in to the drink, so as to not bruise the leaves and release chlorophyll making the drink more bitter.
Just a thought
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Comments will be approved before showing up. Required fields are marked *