How to Use all of those Carrot Tops: "Carrot Top Pesto" Recipe
CARROT TOPS ARE RICH IN PROTEIN, MINERALS, AND VITAMINS AND CONTAIN EVEN MORE VITAMIN C THAN THE ROOT-SO WHY TOSS ‘EM?
THESE LEAFY GREENS HAVE A UNIQUELY SWEET AND BITTER FLAVOR PERFECT FOR SOUPS OR PASTAS. IF YOU’RE HARVESTING CARROTS THIS SEASON, KEEP THE GREENS AND WHIP UP SOME TASTY CARROT TOP PESTO.
- 6 carrot tops (1 cup packed)
- 1 cup packed basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast almonds on a metal tray in the oven or toaster oven.
- Combine carrot tops, basil, olive oil, almonds, lemon juice, and parmesan in a food processor.
- Add one clove of garlic at a time, testing flavor in between and proceeding according to preference.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (we used approximately a teaspoon of each).
OTHER PESTO IDEAS:
- Swap almonds for softer nuts like tree or macadamia nuts and use a mortar and pestle/blender
- Incorporate a little lemon zest for extra citrus flavor
- Spread your carrot top pesto over roasted carrots to fully taste the fruits of your labor!
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Comments will be approved before showing up. Required fields are marked *