At Seedsheet it has become pretty clear that we really love our basil and we put it in almost everything. It’s just so hard to stay away from the amazingly intoxicating aroma and vibrant taste that our traditional Sweet Basil offers. So, we decided we had to test the boundaries of its nearly limitless uses and we’ve struck gold! This frozen treat offers a deliciously light vanilla flavor, cut with the liveliness of basil. Paired with some fresh summer berries on top, this dessert couldn’t be more refreshing on a hot day.
- 1 ½ cup packed, whole sweet basil leaves, cleaned. Plus more for garnish.
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- 3 cup heavy cream
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- Fresh berries for garnish
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board and knife
- Stockpot and burner
- Rubber spatula
- Covered bowl
- Ice cream maker
- Combine all ingredients into a large stock pot and simmer on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until all sugar has dissolved.
- Into a large bowl, pour the milk mixture through a fine strainer or layered cheesecloth. Press the remaining leaves to extract the majority of the liquid.
- Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- After chilling, pour mixture into an ice cream churning machine and follow manufacturer instructions, until desired consistency (usually about 30-35 minutes). Scoop out ice cream into container and chill in the freezer for 2+ hours before serving.
- Serve topped with a basil garnish and fresh berries for a delicious dessert!