What you’ll need:
- Cutting board and knife
- Stockpot with lid
- Serving bowl and utensils
- 3 ears of corn
- 1 15oz can of black beans
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 5 oz cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, chunked
- Corn tortilla chip strips, to top
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup safflower oil
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Alt: eliminate cheese for a vegan meal, add chickpeas, replace black beans with chickpeas, pinto or kidney beans, eliminate jalapeño for a milder flavor, keep jalapeño seeds and/or add a thinly sliced cayenne pepper for additional spice. Use an alternative dressing if you have an aversion to cilantro.
1. Cook the corn by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the corn into the water and allow water to return to a boil. Cover the pot and turn off the heat. Allow the corn to cook for about 5 minutes before removing from the water and setting aside to cool.
2. Add all dressing ingredients into a jar and shake vigorously to combine. For a smoother dressing, pulse in a food processor until combined.
3. Drain and rinse beans and add to a serving bowl.
4. Remove the core and ribs and dice the bell pepper; add to the serving bowl.
5. Remove the core and ribs and cut the jalapeño pepper into small dice or mince and add to the bowl.
6. Slice cherry tomatoes into halves and add to the bowl.
7. Thinly slice the scallions and add to the bowl.
8. Once the corn has cooled, cut the kernels from the cob, standing the cob on one end and slicing downward against the cob using a large knife.
9. Add dressing to taste and mix the salad together.
10. Chunk avocado and crumble cotija cheese and add to the top. Add tortilla chip strips for crunch and serve!
Check out the recipe video below from an episode of Seedsheet Live!