What you’ll need:
- Cutting board and knife
- Shallow bowl or pie pan of warm water
- 12-16 8-inch rice paper wrappers
- Optional veggies: carrots, beets, radishes, cucumbers, radishes, avocado, greens of any kind, snow peas, sweet or spicy peppers
- Optional fruits: melon, mango, apple
- Optional fresh herbs: purple basil, cilantro, bronze fennel fronds, scallions
- Optional protein: cooked shrimp, cooked chicken, lightly fried tofu
- ¼ cup hoisin
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1+ tsp chili paste
- Prep filler ingredients. Firm veggies and fruits should be thinly sliced or julienned into 2-4 inch pieces. Soft veggies and fruits should be sliced into thin and narrow slabs. Keep herbs in 2-4 inch long stems and pieces.
- Place one rice paper wrapper in a shallow bowl of warm water for about 10-15 seconds, until soft and pliable.
- Remove wrapper and lay it down on a flat surface, unwrinkling as much as possible.
- Pile choice fillings in the middle, upper third of the wrap, keeping them tightly packed, running horizontally lengthwise.
- Fold the top of the wrap down until the top of the wrap meats the middle, tucking in the edge. Then fold in the sides. Roll the wrapper downwards into a neat roll shape, keeping the wrapper taught so fillings stay together.
- To make the dipping sauce, whisk together hoisin, peanut butter, vinegar, oil, and chili paste.
- Dip and enjoy!