What you’ll need:
Cutting board and knife
Mixing bowl and spoon
Measuring cups and spoons
2 ½ cups flour, plus more for dusting
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 cups scallions, ends removed, thinly chopped
½ tsp five spice powder
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp miso (thinned with 2 tsp water)
4 tbsp vegetable oil
⅛ cup low sodium soy sauce
⅛ cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp chili paste
1 tsp scallions, thinly chopped
1. Combine flour and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Add water, one third at a time, to the flour, and mix in between. Knead the dough for one minute, adjusting flour or water level so the dough is sticky, but separating from the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and rest dough for about 10 minutes.
2. Remove the root ends of the scallion stalks and thinly slice them into rounds using the white, light, and crisp dark green portions. Place them into a bowl and mix in the five spice powder, sesame seeds, and sesame oil. Set aside.
3. Mix together miso and 2 tsp water until well combined. Set aside.
4. When the dough has rested, flour a work surface and your hands well. Divide the dough into two pieces, leaving one piece in the bowl. Roll one half onto the floured work surface, into a thin rectangle, about ½ cm thick.
5. Using the back of a spoon, spread ¼ of the thinned miso onto the dough and scatter with ¼ of the prepared scallions.
6. Gently roll the dough into a long rope, working from the wide side of the rectangle and tucking the scallions inside.
7. Coil the dough into a circle, tucking the end underneath the coil. Flatten the dough ball into a circle and roll the dough out again into the same rectangle shape and width.
8. Repeat the application of miso and scallions with another ¼ of each. Roll the dough again into a long rope. Cut the rope in half and roll each into a coil. Flatten each coil into a thin pancake, about ½ cm thick.
9. Repeat this process with the second dough ball and remaining miso and scallions to end up with four total pancakes.
10. Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil on medium-high heat. Add one pancake at a time and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side, until dark golden brown and crispy.
11. Remove from pancake from pan onto a paper towel to cool slightly before cutting into triangles.
12. To make the dipping sauce, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, and chili paste. Add chopped scallions to top.
13. Dip pancakes and enjoy warm!