Tulsi, also known as "Sacred Basil", is a little plant with a lot of power. Commonly used in herbal medicine to treat a host of ailments, this herb has the power to aid in skin health, relieve stress and boost the immune system.
For a superfood-take on a gimlet with delicate floral notes from Tulsi blossoms, try our Sacred Gimlet recipe below. This garden-fresh drink is a nice break from sugary cocktails, not to mention the important health benefits that come from the prized tulsi leaves and flowers!
Sacred Gimlet Recipe
- 3-4 cuttings from the Tulsi plant, flowers may be included
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 oz simple syrup
- 3 oz vodka
- Crushed ice
- 4 floral ice cubes (cubes with flowers frozen inside)
- Granulated sugar (to coat the glass-rims)
- 2 coupe glasses
- In a cocktail shaker or pint glass, add a handful of crushed ice, simple syrup, fresh lime juice, vodka, and about 6 tulsi leaves, and shake with another glass secured on top.
- Prepare glasses by wetting the rims with the juiced-lime halves, and dipping in the granulated sugar.
- Use a strainer and pour the cocktail mixture, dividing between each glass.
- Add floral ice cubes and a tulsi flower sprig for a whimsical finishing touch. Cheers!
The health benefits and delicate flavors that come from homegrown tulsi are every reason to always have a fresh crop. The smell of sweet leaves and flowers are a perfect way to achieve flavor in cocktails and tea, without excess added sugar or artificial flavors!