Love green beans? Love pickles? Green beans + pickling = magic
Makes 3 pint jars of pickled green beans
What you'll need:
- 1.5 lbs green beans
- 1⅔ cups cider or rice-wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cups granulated sugar
- 2⅓ tbsps kosher salt
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 garlic clove
- Wash green beans and trim their ends off with scissors for maximum saturation of the brine.
- Pack the green beans tightly into 1 pint jars. Leave about ½ inch of space in the jar above the beans.
- Rinse the dill and chop it removing the stems and keeping the leaves.
- Put aside, and make the brine.
- Toast the whole peppercorns on a pan on high heat for two minutes.
- Add the peppercorns, chopped dill, and whole garlic clove to the rest of the mixture in a pot and bring to a boil, stirring to ensure the salt and sugar dissolve.
- Remove the garlic clove and pour the brine into the three green beans-filled jars so that they are full. Allow to sit and cool down for about one hour before putting the lids on.
- Once at room temperature, tightly seal the jars and put in the fridge.
- Eat after about one week for the best tasting pickled green beans. They can keep for about one month.