Yeah, you read that right-- an EBLART sandwich! This is an incredibly elevated vegetarian (and easily made vegan) twist on a BLT. Smoky eggplant bacon, crisp green lettuce, roasted tomatoes, and creamy garlic-basil mayo, layered between crunchy toasted sourdough bread. Finger-licking good when warm and fresh, but just as delicious as a cold carry-to-work lunch.
What you’ll need:
- Cutting board and knife
- Roasting pan
- Cooling rack
- Parchment paper
- Small mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Culinary basting brush
- 1 medium eggplant or 3 fingerling, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 4 thyme sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
*note: if you prefer fresh juicy tomato, or just want a simpler recipe, skip the roasting!
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Crusty bread, sliced and lightly toasted
- Avocado, sliced
- Crisp green lettuce
1. Preheat the oven to 300F. Place a cooling rack over one baking sheet for the tomatoes and layer another baking sheet with parchment paper for the eggplant.
2. Slice tomatoes into rounds and eggplant into long strips.
3. In a small bowl whisk together liquid smoke, maple syrup, paprika, and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Lay the eggplant onto the paper-covered sheet and brush both sides with the mixture. Add a grind of fresh pepper.
4. Lay the sliced tomatoes onto the cooling rack on top of the baking sheet. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, and thyme leaves.
5. Roast both the eggplant strips and tomatoes for 45-60 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
6. Add the garlic and basil to the mayonnaise and gently incorporate them together and set aside.
7. When the eggplant and tomatoes are ready, cut the avocado, and slice and toast the bread. Spread each slice of bread with the garlic-basil mayo. Layer the bread with avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, and eggplant bacon. Slice in half and enjoy!