THERE'S NOTHIN' LIKE HOMEMADE HOT SAUCE, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU GROW THE INGREDIENTS YOURSELF!
Using homegrown carrots, cayenne peppers, and purple bunching onions, whip up a batch in less than 30 minutes for a healthier and more flavorful heat.
- 2 carrots
- 2 purple bunching onions
- 4 cayenne peppers (red= very spicy or green= less spicy)
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Roughly chop carrots, purple bunching onions and cayenne peppers, stems discarded.
- Place in a food processor and add vinegar & salt.
- Blend on high for a couple of minutes, or until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan on medium heat and bring to a simmer. Turn heat to low and continue to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and transfer hot sauce into a jar. Let cool and store in the fridge between uses. Optional: Strain the sauce through a cheesecloth to get rid of large particles.
- Impress friends and family with your homegrown-hot sauce to give an extra punch to savory meals!